Monday, July 19, 2010

Do Something!

I feel like I have little control over what happens in the world.  I am not a great leader of a big company or organization.  I don't create policy or laws.  I am just an average housewife, in an average neighborhood, in an average size town in Texas. What can I really do to make a difference in any one's life long term?  I try to think seriously about that question often and one topic I keep coming back to is adoption.  Scripture gives us clear instructions when it come to widows and orphans- make a difference in their lives long term!  How can I do that?  I don't know all the answers to that question.  Honestly there is a part of me that is a little scared to dig too deep into the issue.  I am afraid God will call me to adopt 17 children.  Right now I am wondering if/when we should even have 2!  But while God and I are discussing how I can be obedient to him in this area I still want to do something.  I don't have to adopt 17 children today to make a difference today.  One way I can make a difference is by spending my dollars in places that make a difference in the lives of orphans.  One place I spend money is on running races.  Now, I don't spend a lot compared to some, but I did sign up for at least 2 big races a year.  They usually cost $50-$100.  Where does that money go?  Often it goes to a "good cause", but sometimes it goes back to the race.  I have decided that I want to do races that not only benefit a "good cause" but benefit causes that are close to my heart.  I just want to think critically about where I am spending my racing dollars.  That doesn't mean I won't do some races that are just for fun, but I just want to think about it before I spend.  

This process has led me and my hubby to decided not to do the San Antonio Rock N' Roll Half Marathon as we have done the past two years, but instead to do the Chosen: Marathon for Adoption Half Marathon.  It is the goal of the race directors that all money raised by the race goes directly to families who are in the adoption process.  A process that can be very costly to families.  I am excited to be running for such a great cause- a cause that is close to my heart.  Who knows.  Maybe one day I will be of the families who will benefit from the run. 

My training has started.  I want to take a short video each week to mark my progress and give a short update.  Look for those soon.

1 comment:

EMU said...

Your family ALREADY is benefiting from the race this year! Just in a different way... :)

Get it, girl! Can't wait to see your videos!