Monday, May 24, 2010

Super Busy

This is such a super busy time of the year!  Just this weekend we walked through the house we are buying, had a MOPS and Pops dinner theater to wrap up our year at MOPS, family visiting from South Texas, a wedding to attend, a funeral to attend, and my sister visiting!  Not to mention the things we would have liked done- attended a friend's doctoral graduation (Congrats JEU!), attended a friend's nephew's 1st birthday party, taken a family walk, or even taken a breath.  Some of our weekend plans were cut because Little Britches wasn't feeling her best.  We decided a late night out at a wedding was not going to be anything but trying to sooth a fussy, tired baby, but the rest of it we at least sent a family representative to express our love. 

All this busyness helps me not think about the things that are looming in my near future: unpacking all our stuff and deciding what will no longer fit since we are downsizing, and saying good bye to two good friends.  I am the type of person who you can know, but not ever REALLY know.  I love people, but I do not let too many people into the deepest part of me.  I am sure some therapist could tell me why.  I am sure it has to do with moving every 4-5 years all the way up until I turned 22, but it is what it is.  I pray often that God will allow me to love as He loves- freely, not worried about letting myself get hurt of left or left out or whatever.  He has and is continually answering that prayer.  One way He answers that prayer is by providing me with a few good friends.  I can name 4 women in my life that I would say are my closest friends.  Two of them are moving away at the beginning of June.  These are two women who challenge me spiritually, intellectually, emotionally, and even physically.  I fell like a better person after having spent time with both of them.  One of them is family- my cousin, but both of them are family through Christ and that family bond is so dear to me.  I have been so busy I have not really had time to think about the loss in my life.  Will Mayzie know and love my cousin's two girls like I love my cousin?  Will Mayzie always hold a special place in her heart for her best bud, Annie, like I will always hold a special place in my heart for Annie's mom?  I hope so.  Friendship takes work when you live near, and possibly even more work when you live far, but the friendship of these two women in my life if worth every phone call, facebook post, post card, and plane ride we take over the next year of our life.  I am missing them already! 

God is so sweet to me in so many ways.  He has given me the gift of friendship and though I don't want to say good bye I know He calls me friend!  Also, of the 4 women I would consider my closest friends, 2 are moving away, but one is returning after a 3 year missionary experience in July, and one is not going anywhere!  I am looking forward to spending time with my friend that is returning and in planning a vacation to another part of the country to visit my friends that are moving. 

2 comments:

EMU said...

Sniff sniff. Don't make me cry! I'm getting so sad about leaving Austin. I cried 3 times in church yesterday, and we still have 2 more Sundays at church. I think I'll need to carry around kleenex for the next 2 weeks! :(

Jackie Truitt said...

You know me so well. I'm definitely not going anywhere! I'm proud to be in your top 4, as you are in mine. Thank you for always being such an encouraging and Christ-centered friend! Love you.