Saturday, December 18, 2010

The 25 Days of Christmas Day 18

Taking in a show

Today and tomorrow we celebrate Christmas with my mom's extended family.  Part of the celebration today included everyone taking in a show.  We were given free tickets to attend San Antonio Rose Live Classic Country Christmas Show.  We arrived at the Aztec Theater
in downtown San Antonio and upon entering the building we were immediately welcomed by relics that seemed to be from an Indiana Jones movie.  I am sure there is a interesting history to this building, but I don't know it yet.  We found our way to our seats, which were about 10 rows back in the middle.  As I settled into my spot I began to people watch.  I looked to my left, to my right, in front, and behind me.  There was no one any where, that I could see, that was under the age of 45 or maybe even 50.  Then I checked my ticket again....classic country.  Oh dear.  This was going to be interesting.  "The cousins", that is my sister, my cousin, his wife, and my husband, were the only people under 45 there.  We began to give each other knowing looks and mouthed things such as "Good luck," to each other. I could give you a play by play on the show, but suffice it to say it was mostly hokey, think Hee Haw, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  I mean, they did sing Christmas songs.  The one thing I noticed is when they sang songs about the birth of Christ they always mentioned it as the real meaning of Christmas and the other songs as fun songs of the season.  I appreciated them taking the time to make the distinction.  It reminded me that weather music sounds good or hokey is a matter of personal preference, but within every genre of music truth can be proclaimed.  I was also reminded that nothing says I have to prefer to hear truth proclaimed through classic country, but I do prefer to see my mom, dad, and grandmother smiling from ear to ear and tapping their toes to the music, so for today, anyway, classic country it is! 

No comments: